Kansas City Chiefs Projected 53 Man Roster

August 2nd, 2012

Cameron Sheffield made the cut. Who didn’t?

KCCD Editor: Jason Madson

We are a week into Chiefs Training Camp and had our first off day yesterday. So instead of the Training Camp notes and pictures, I take a stab at the 53 man roster and practice squad. After you check it out, throw us a comment on what you’d change or even post your changes in the comments.

I balanced the team out pretty evenly, with 24 on offense, 26 on defense and 3 special teams. Take a look at my projected roster after the jump.

OFFENSE

Quarterbacks (3)

Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn, Ricky Stanzi

Running backs (4)

Jamaal Charles, Peyton Hillis, Cyrus Gray, Shane Bannon

Wide Receivers (6)

Dwayne Bowe, Jonathan Baldwin, Steve Breaston, Dexter McCluster, Devon Wylie, Terrance Copper

Tight Ends (3)

Tony Moeaki, Kevin Boss, Steve Maneri

Offensive Linemen (8)

Branden Albert, Ryan Lilja, Rodney Hudson, Jon Asamoah, Eric Winston, David Mims, Jeff Allen, Donald Stephenson

DEFENSE

DefensiveLinemen (8)

Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey, Dontari Poe, Amon Gordon, Allen Bailey, Anthony Toribio, Brandon Bair, Jerrell Powe

Linebackers (8)

Derrick Johnson, Jovan Belcher, Tamba Hali, Justin Houston, Cameron Sheffield, Brandon Siler, Cory Greenwood, Andy Studebaker

Defensive Backs (10)

Brandon Flowers, Stanford Routt, Kendrick Lewis, Eric Berry, Javier Arenas, Abe Elam, De’Quan Menzie, Jalil Brown, Donald Washington, Travis Daniels

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker (1)

Ryan Succop

Punter (1)

Dustin Colquitt

Long-snapper (1)

Thomas Gafford

Practice Squad (8)

Nate Eachus, Junior Hemingway, Josh Bellamy, Darryl Harris, Lucas Patterson, Jerome Long, Dexter Heyman, Neiko Thorpe

Check page 2 for explanations.

Pages: 1 2 3

Tags: Brandon Bair, Brandon Flowers, Chiefs Roster, Chiefs Training Camp, Donald Stephenson, Jamaal Charles, Neiko Thorpe

18 Responses to “Kansas City Chiefs Projected 53 Man Roster”

1. SWACDADDY78 says:

The Chiefs knows this guy Darryl Harris have what they are looking for in a O-Lineman, other wise why they continue to keep him ? is it because they know these two draft choices will not finish the season ? Hell put him on the active roster and place one of those Draft picks on the PS…..Let’s really see what Darryl Harris got !

2. SWACDADDY78 says:

So glad that the Chiefs are still hanging onto Darryl Harris #66 !

3. gage c says:

I saw your 53 manand I roster agree with you fully.

4. KCChef says:

Veteran Cut Down Day always brings a surprise or two as “Cheap Clark / Pioli ” try to avoid the Roster bonuses due if an up & comer proves his worth in the Pre-Season…

5. Jeff says:

If you’re in charge of the 53, do you take Studie or Gabe Miller?

Studie is probably further along than Gabe Miller, but Gabe’s athleticism hints at a higher ceiling.

• Jason Madson says:

Studebaker for that reason. Gabe Miller has made it tough this camp, though. I wouldn’t be upset if either were kept.

6. Brad says:

Donald Washington?

7. ICTChief says:

I don’t think Darryl Harris is eligible for the practice squad this year. This is his fourth year and I think you are limited to 3 years on the PS. I believe he was on IR for one year so maybe that is way around that rule. Either way, if he can’t crack the 53 man by this time it’s time let him go and put one of the younger o-line prospects there. I’m with stag’s and Cam Holland may be that guy.

• Jason Madson says:

You may be right. Cam Holland and Mikhail Baker were the next 2 om the PS list. I like Harris and thought he was eligible, but I’m def not an expert on that topic.

• SWACDADDY78 says:

Don’t worry about Darryl Harris,he knows all three O-Line position and he’s waiting ,but with those two draft picks the Chiefs is looking at them…dude deserve to be on the Chiefs active roster…..what else could it be about keeping him !

8. Hazen says:

Nice work. Didn’t expect to see Dexter on your list, good choice though.

• Jason Madson says:

He wouldn’t be on my list personally, but tried to be as realistic as possible. Think the Chiefs have other players that can do what Dexter does, along with adding to another role.

9. stagdsp says:

Nice work, very similar to my list.
    The only real questions are Washington, Powe, Bannon and Toribio. All have a very good shot at making the roster, but could be on the bubble…

The practice squad will be tough… I think they would like to keep Long, Hemmingway, Heyman and Draughn… but might be afraid they’d get snatched up on waivers or off of the PS.

For sure, it’s a better roster top-to-bottom than KC’s seen in YEARS, and cuts will be difficult

• stagdsp says:

Mims also, ideally he’s a PS guy, if he can last there

• Jason Madson says:

Yeah, I had trouble with those 4 you mentioned. I think Washington makes the cut because he has looked the best in ST drills and can play both DB spots, if needed.

Powe stays IMO because he’s a 2nd year NT that needs developing and Romeo/Pleasant could be great teachers for him.

Bannon was probably the toughest of all my picks. I think they keep a FB for some reason, other than Peyton Hillis who will see a ton of carries.

Toribio, just because he starts the season at NT. He might be on his way out mid season, but I think he starts it there.

You’re right about those players, but I can’t see holding a roster spot for any of them yet. Too much development needs to be made for those four.

Who knows what other teams will cut out into the free agent pool as well. The Chiefs could sign 5 guys and completely change this.

• stagdsp says:

I’m certainly rooting for Powe…The challenge is certainly laid out for him, given the comments by Romeo and the 1st string reps for Toribio

I doubt they sign any significant FAs at this point… there aren’t many spots up for grabs, as we see above… and there are some young guys that they’ll be fighting to keep.

Great problems to have for once!