KCCD Editor: Jason Madson
And KC Chiefs Draft has you covered.
With all the new traffic around here, we’d like to re-introduce our site and give you an idea of what to expect leading up to the NFL Draft. With the Chiefs having the top pick, we are going to be busy around here.
Within the next few days and updated weekly, you cancheck out our mock drafts for the first round and strictly Chiefs. The sites rankings are going to be posted soon as well as game notes from many of the games from the 2012 college football season. Scouting reports will start flowing as well. Basically, any news or info regarding the Chiefs or NFL Draft prospects will be posted here, so bookmark us and visit often.
Here is a quick rundown of the top 5 most likely choices for the Chiefs top pick and I’m not throwing out trade as an option.
1) Geno Smith QB West Virginia – A talented QB would make all the difference in the world for the Chiefs. Without being able to load the box, Jamaal Charles could run wild. Geno is and has been my number one guy for months now, he needs to be the pick.
2) Sheldon Richardson DT Mizzou – This may surprise most of you, but he is the most talented defensive player in this draft. He could play DE in the 3-4 and would be a 3 down player. He gets great pressure from the interior and is solidagainst the run. Watch as he climbs up draft boards in the offseason.
3) Johnthan Banks CB Mississippi State – Best cover corner in this draft. Strong with the jam and talented enough to be on an island. He is dangerous with the ballin his hands too. Long, talented CBs are hard to come by and the Chiefs have their pick if they want to use it here.
4) Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M – Branden Albert could be gone after this season. The Chiefs have Donald Stephenson and David Mims on the roster, but Joeckel is a different type of prospect. He would make it easier for whichever QB the Chiefs select in round 2.
5) Jarvis Jones – Pass rushers are my favorite players. Give me as many as can possibly be rostered. With TambaHali and Justin Houston already on the field, a Jarvis Jones would just add another weapon.
Most are saying that QB needs to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round. I couldn’t disagree more. Looking back at the Matt Ryan draft, people said similar things about him. Now he’s a top 8 QB in the NFL. This is a Quarterback league and the Chiefs have failed miserably to identify a talent for nearly 30 years.
I fyou select a QB and it doesn’t work, at least it was attempted. Give it a shot for the first time in 30 years and give the fans what they want.